The Brooksbank Sixth Form
The Brooksbank Sixth Form provides a wide selection of options to students during their time within college. The sixth form gives students the opportunity to research and apply for numerous different opportunities. These options can include what they can pursue once Year 13 ends. These include apprenticeships, voluntary work, gap year opportunities, full time employment, internships and higher education.
C&K Careers Advisers work with the sixth form to support students with ideas regarding their future. These advisers are based in school throughout the week and students can book appointments or drop in before, during and after school for an informative chat to help support plans and entering the labor market.
Higher education continues to be sixth form students most desired destinations for after Year 13 with students accessing universities all over the country. The sixth form and the careers service in school provide a structured programme to inform students and parents of the Higher Education process. This includes:
- Access to the UCAS convention – Every year students are taken to Leeds Beckett University to access the regions UCAS convention. This convention covers inspirational talks, topical seminars and application process advice for students.
- Oxbridge programme workshops – Brooksbank Plus is a programme where the highest achieving students in Year 12 and 13 have access to university visits around the country.
- Work experience – It’s compulsory in sixth for all students to complete work experience. All students are expected to attend to gain valuable experience of the work place and also inform ideas of what different careers consist of. Completion of work experience allows students to add experiences to apprenticeship and higher education application forms to help support knowledge of career choices once applying for job opportunities or university degree places.
- Student finance – Brooksbank invite UCAS speakers to come into college and provide detailed sessions around student finance. This includes how sixth formers can go about applying, the process of applying, when they can apply and any changes to student finance from the previous year.
- To prepare for life after sixth form students in Brooksbank need to complete a Progression Module as part of their studies. This additional piece of work consists of numerous tasks that need completing throughout students sixth form careers. The module carries 12 UCAS points for Leeds and Huddersfield University, that can be added onto UCAS points gained from Level 3 assessments.
Useful Websites and Links for this sector can be found below and please explore further:
Erasmus enables higher education students to study or work abroad as part of their degree and staff to teach or train in 33 European countries.
Eunicas EUNiCAS is unique. It enables UK and Irish students to apply to up to eight degree programmes , taught through English, in universities across Europe.
Fulbright Commission for study at a University in the USA
Future Learn Short Courses
Loud Magazine It’s a free magazine for your students, which provides vital advice about heading to university.
Milkround The Home of Graduate Jobs
Prospects The UK’s official graduate careers website
Student Ladder Find out about Internships, Gap Years and Work Experience
Student World Find out more about study abroad
Studieren in Deutschland more information about general study in Germany
Target Jobs Graduate jobs, schemes and internships
Bursaries for HE