Huge Congrats to tennis ace Phoebe!  Phoebe, who is a student in Year 10, has become Slovenia Deaf Open 2018 Women’s Champion.  

Phoebe, who was born deaf, beat Jana Janosikova from Slovakia 6-2 6-1 to achieve her first senior international title last week.  The 15-year-old tennis star also won the Doubles Final when she partnered Aurélie Coudon of France on Day 2 of the competition.

The tournament took place on Thursday 17th May and Friday 18th with Phoebe catching a Saturday night flight home, so she would be back for her school lessons on Monday morning.

“She had an absolutely amazing time in Slovenia,” reports proud mum, Joanne.  “She won both the Ladies Singles and Doubles Title in the Slovenia Open Deaf Tournament.  She [is] a very happy girl.  I think she surprised a few people, who have met her before, [on] how much she has developed her game over the last couple of years.”

“When I was born deaf I never imagined I’d be living such a great life and my parents didn’t, either. Tennis has brought me more opportunities so it’s lucky I played tennis at school back when I was eight.”

The young tennis star is coached by Catherine Fletcher, the Tennis Foundation’s National Deaf Tennis Coach.   The tournament sees the Huddersfield Lawn Tennis and Squash Club player return to a venue where she secured a triple medal haul at the inaugural European Junior Deaf Tennis Championships in 2016.

Huge congratulations to Phoebe, we are so proud of your achievements so far and offer our support and best wishes for your future successes.