Year 10 News
Dear Parents and Students,
Head of Year
Reading alert … New Year – New DEAR!
Drop Everything And Read (DEAR) is taking place during period 5 on Friday, 1st February. This year we have developed the DEAR idea of community reading as follows.
Students in each year group and their class teacher will read the same short story:
Year 7 – Dream Daddy by Brian Martin;
Year 8 – The Watcher Society by Ellen Draper;
Year 9 – The Story of Blue Beard by Brigid McCauley;
Year 10 – Man from the South by Roald Dahl;
Year 11 – The Darkness Out There by Penelope Lively.
Also new for 2019 is the addition of a competition.
Those who have enjoyed reading the story can try one of the following tasks:
- write a review of the story in under 100 words;
- produce a biography on one side of A4 after carrying out research on the author;
- write a short story that follows a similar theme in under 500 words;
- produce a news report on your interview with one of the characters about their experience.
Competition entries can be posted in the competition box in the LRC by Friday, 8th February.
Prize winners will be announced at the end of half-term. Good luck, everyone!!
England calling for Paige
We would like to congratulate Paige Ackroyd in 10T on being selected for the England Under 17 Netball squad. Netball crazy Paige, has been playing netball for seven years, and is thrilled to be selected to play for her country. She says, “I’m also a little surprised at being picked, because all the other girls are older than me.”
Paige plays her beloved sport every day of the week, except Friday. She is a member of several clubs, including Yorkshire Frogs, Yorkshire Terriers and Leeds Rhinos, where she was spotted for England. Paige will debut for England at the Under 17 European Championships in March, to be held at the University of Huddersfield. Best of luck Paige, we’ll be rooting for you!
Charitable gift-giving for Advent
Over the last month, our Focus Centre has been centre of operations for the Reverse Advent gift box initiative.
“Instead of taking something out, we are putting something in,” said organiser, Charlene Watson.
“This year we were able to deliver eight boxes packed with goodies to the Salvation Army in Brighouse.
Thank you to Jodie Ornatowski in 10E, George Exley in 7D Liam Fitzpatrick, who helped to deliver them on Thursday, and to everyone who contributed to the initiative. The boxes will be distributed to those in need this Christmas.
Holiday dates …..
- Summer – Opens Tuesday 4th September 2018
- Autumn Half Term – Closes: Friday 26th October 2018 / Opens: Monday 5th November 2018
- Christmas – Closes:Friday 21st December 2018 / Opens: Monday 7th January 2019
- February Half Term – Closes: Thursday 14th February 2019 / Opens: Monday 25th February 2019
- Easter – Closes: Friday 12th April 2019 / Opens: Monday 25th April 2019
- May Day – Closed: Monday 6th May 2019
- Spring Bank – Closes: Friday 24th May 2019 / Opens: Monday 3rd June 2019
- Summer – Closes: Thursday 18th July 2019